Lightning Sparks Fire at Mt. Abram Lodge
SAM Magazine-Greenwood, Maine, July 7, 2011-Fire severely damaged the lodge at Mt. Abram Family Resort Wednesday evening after it was struck by lightning.
The fire began on the third floor of the west wing, which housed the administrative offices; the roof collapsed onto the third floor, and parts of some walls collapsed or were consumed by the fire. The offices, plus the restaurant and lounge, were heavily damaged.
While crews from six fire departments fought the fire, a group of firefighters, resort employees, and bystanders removed merchandise from the ski lodge's gift shop on the far eastern side of the building, farthest from the fire. They also moved skis, snowboards, apparel, and other winter gear.
GM Kevin Rosenberg said that the area will either repair and rebuild the lodge or, if necessary, tear it down and build a new lodge. Either way, the resort hopes to have the work completed in time for the resort's scheduled opening for the 2011-12 season on Dec. 10.