News Search

Push to The Latest: No
SAM Magazine--Juneau, Alaska, June 15, 2004--In addition to the $300,000 the City and Borough of Juneau gives to Eaglecrest Ski Area each year, the resort was granted another $100,000 in order to offset a projected shortfall of $652,000 next year. Eaglecrest is a municipally-owned area that relies on local users to cover 70 percent of operating expenses while the borough makes up the other 30 percent, as they do with the city's swimming pool, ice rink and a variety of sports programs.

The 26-year-old area was created for the community, and as such, has not turned a profit in its existence. However, in order to offset future losses, Eaglecrest will raise ticket prices by an average of $3 and season passes by $20 for the coming season. The city of Juneau also gave $20,000 to the city manager's office in order to assist with an analysis of cost recovery goals.